What is your God Given Purpose?

For years I have struggled with trying to determine what my God given purpose is on this Earth. I have been attached to the notion that I am meant to do something great, magnificent, and downright HUGE with my life. I do believe that my life and the experiences in it are portions of this master plan I have named “it”. It pains me that at 29-years-old I still don’t know what “it” is. I have prayed, fasted, studied, read supplemental books, journal and still to no avail.  I have also tried taking different assessments to determine what my strengths, weaknesses, passions, and goals are, still nothing.

I have a few ideas on what to do next to uncover what “it” is. After completing these various tasks I will let you know the results and discuss what I learned. In the mean time I am continuing to trust and believe that I was designed with a great purpose in mind. In this pursuit of fulfillment I stay encouraged by mastering the things I am aware of like being a good mother, sister, friend, prayer partner, comforter, etc.

Do you know what your God Given Purpose on Earth is yet? Leave a comment below explaining how you came to know what your purpose was. If you do not know, Take My Foolish Advice and seek it out until it’s revived to you.  Be blessed.

Beloved,

AWalk

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “What is your God Given Purpose?

1. Steven Sarff says:

Awalk:
    Your post spoke to me and I would like to respond to it. Not that I have the answer to your question. I do, however, have a thought. I know, I have heard for years the idea that God has a specific purpose for each person. Something that is different than other people but I am not sure that such is true. And then again, perhaps it is.

I mean what if God’s purpose is simply what Paul said in Eph 2:10? Created in Christ Jesus for good works. Of course, it begs the question ‘which good works’ and I would suggest that you can answer that by ‘any of them’

Might God have something spectacular for you? Sure. He might. But spectacular in whose eyes? As you have identified yourself as 29 and still not feeling that purpose, then I would suggest that you simply go about doing good works where you are.

Read your Bible, be faithful, walk in good works. Perhaps the phone will ring with God’s call someday but until you find it do the best you can, with God’s help to be ready. If it is missions, go, if in marriage do it, in child rearing be a Eunice and Lois, if in Business be a Lydia or Dorcas, maybe it will simply be being a Martha (w/o the worrying)

As a single person, you have the opportunity to serve and if you are not feeling the pull to get married tell others to step back while you step forward.

Again, I don’t know your purpose but if you will read your Bible (all of it) regularly, the words in it will help you be a better prepared person. You will work better and maybe get a raise or promotion to CEO earning more than you ever thought and supporting Gospel preachers throughout the world. Or in your work, someone else will offer you a business of your own because your Christian attitude spoke to them and they knew you would be perfect.

Anwyay I think i am rambling. I look forward to seeing others suggestions and your responses.

• takemyfoolishadvice says:

Hi Steven,
      Thanks for contributing to the discussion. In respect to Eph 2:10 (smiles because I reached for my Bible and it was already turned to Ephesians, God knows how to make us smile). As God’s children I believe Eph 2:10 when it reads that we “…are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” I believe that walking in the good works mean loving my neighbor, bearing the fruits of the Spirit, witnessing to lost souls, sharing my testimony with the world, forgiving myself and the people who have wronged me, praying for others, all the attributes of Jesus Christ basically.

Fortunately, it does not end there, I also believe that God gives us all unique qualities, talents and skills and we are to use those things for His kingdom. These unique qualities, talents and skills, once identified by the individual, used for the kingdom of heaven, are the “it” the “purpose of life.” To answer your question, it’s spectacular in the eyes of the individual and those that witness “it”. It’s that specialized “thing” that God gave this individual to use, this particular way at this very moment for that amount of time. Some individuals are blessed to recognize “it” while it’s actually occurring. While others discover “it” while reflecting on their life. The “it” doesn’t have to be just one thing either; it can be a collection of things. For example, one of the purposes of Mary’s life was to deliver baby Jesus. That was her God given purpose. Would God have used someone else, yes but He chooses Mary at that moment to fulfill her purpose.

In regards to “Perhaps the phone will ring with God’s call someday but until you find it do the best you can, with God’s help to be ready” that is great advice. I do in fact read my Bible regularly and pray that when my moment arrives I will be ready, willing and able to embrace my “it” moment. Thanks again for sharing and following. God bless.

Beloved,

AWalk

2. tamarknochel says:

I feel you on this one! I had done a lot at 29 and yet it wasn’t until a few months before my 30th birthday that I discovered what God wanted me to do, write. And I did. Through writing I have grown to know the Lord so much more than I ever had before. Writing has caused me to search and seek Him under the umbrella of “It’s for other people”, but really it was to teach me. It was to make me grow and change and become the woman of faith that I am today. The mom that I am today, the wife that I am today, the bride that I am today.
    I wasn’t so sure about the whole writer thing until two weeks before my 30th birthday I was REALLY feeling the itch to start typing up the chicken scratches that I had put together for my “book on God and Sex” and my brother, who works with computers, found a computer and printer and called my parents and my husband and bought me a brand new laptop and printer for my birthday! Talk about confirmation!!!
    You are so very right, God knows the plans that He has for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future, and right now He’s looking over those plans getting really excited about seeing you fulfill them! 🙂 I can almost hear Him giggling over them now! But be prepared to have to keep waiting, because even after you know His plans, you still have to wait for His perfect timing. It’s been 2 1/2 years since I started writing, that book “True Intimacy” has been finished for over a year now and I’m still waiting for God to bring me my “big break”, but I don’t want it a SECOND before His perfect timing, because then I won’t be ready yet, and that would be a very bad thing.
    Anyway, I just wanted to send you a note of encouragement, hang in there, God knows the plans, and eventually, when the time is right, you will too my sister. 🙂 Until then wait as patiently as you can and enjoy the lessons He’s teaching you to PREPARE you for the rest of His plans. They’re worth the wait! Every second of it.

• takemyfoolishadvice says:

Hi tamarknochel,
      Thanks so much for sharing your experience. How Awesome is our God huh? Patience is a virtue and I have learned that while it’s natural to be frustrated with waiting to discover my purpose, my “it”, I have to instead transfer that energy into being focused on all the details that is ‘my life’. I concur, until we discover our purpose we have to remain faithful to preparation to show ourselves approved. God bless you on your journey and again thank you for sharing.

Beloved,

AWalk

3. Its About Me says:

AWalk,
    For years I was still trying to figure out my God given purpose and one day it just hit me that maybe for me there isnt this one specific thing that God has given me maybe its in every little thing that I do.

• takemyfoolishadvice says:

Hello Student,
      Thanks for stopping by and to answer your question, Yes! sinners do have a God given purpose. We are all born into sin and are sinners, but by His grace we are saved. We all have a God given purpose. Have you discovered yours yet? If so please share with us.

Beloved,

AWalk

• Steven Sarff says:

Depending on what you mean by sinners, the answer will be different. If you mean by “sinners'” those who have been saved by the blood of Jesus, then yes, they do. If you mean “sinners” who have not been saved, then I would suggest “they missed their purpose” because all of created in God’s image are to honor and glorify Him. As Solomon said: Fear God and keep His commandments, this is the whole of man.

Once there is peace with God, with Jesus, then their purpose is as all of ours is to continue to let our light shine.

4. student says:

So nice to find such quick responses. I tend to have tardy responses.

You asked if I have discovered my purpose. Better described as only left with one answer.

Mr. Sarff distinguished those saved and not saved. Have the not saved failed their God given purpose?

Many comments concerns what God tells or commands people to do. Do God’s commands equate to God given purpose?

Thank you for your responses.

Student

5. student says:

Your notion of a God given purpose is downright huge. Is being the object of God’s love not huge?

Share your advice. Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s